Comprehension and Vocabulary – Answer Key to Text 3
___T___ 1. A bone may be fractured in a variety of ways.
___F___ 2. To find out if your leg is fractured after a fall, try walking on it.
___F___ 3. The victim should be immobilized immediately once a fracture is suspected.
___T___ 4. Splitting is necessary when giving first aid to a person suffering a suspected or known fracture.
___F___ 5. It is alright to give water to the injured person to drink.
___T___ 6. We should avoid bandaging on or near the site of the fracture
Answer key: Vocabulary Practice
1. fracture ___8___ shin
2. tissue ___10___ ankle bones
3. clavicle ___6___ finger bones
4. femur ___7___ kneecap
5. carpals ___2___ a group of similar cells that work together to perform a particular function
6. phalanges ___1___ a break in a bone
7. patella ___3___ shoulder bone
8. tibia ___5___ wrist bones
9. fibula ___9___ smaller of two lower leg bones
10. tarsals ___4___ largest of two bones of the lower leg
Adapted from the Occupational Terminology Workshop for Foreign-trained Health Care Workers, The STIC project, 1998.